Monday, September 26, 2011

Getting rid of Stuff

So I've always considered myself a master organizer.  I go through the house and my stuff multiple times a year looking for things to get rid of.  Re-organizing the closet or cabinets.  Going through clothes and shoes looking for things I haven't worn in a year, or have worn and shouldn't be wearing for fashion purposes.  I went through things before we moved, and doing it again now that we're in Denver.  This last go around I parted iwth all the stuffed hippos, a lot of t-shirts (i just don't wear t-shirts), a lot paper (who uses paper?), office supplies, pencils, markers, the scrapbooking scissors (let's face it...i don't do craft projects).  I finally parted with my intermediate accounting book (no idea why I felt sentimentally attached to that).  Let go of my backpack i used in high school with my initials on it.

There are still some things that I'm holding on to that are taking up space in this tiny house.  Here's the list - let me know your thoughts on if I should keep or toss:
  • LOTS of journals from junior high / high school
  • Sprial bound "books" that I wrote as a child - think like 6 - 10 yrs old
  • Picture albums with old boyfriends (cringe)
  • All sorts of picture albums from high school / college
  • A pink hippo pillow with beads in it (you know the kind i mean?)
  • Gregory the giant stuff hippo...i'm not parting with him
  • The bunny rabbit that my grandma made (i like it..but...i already have a lot of stuff from my grandma that a love...the bunny isn't one of those things)
  • A small glass hippo...collects dust
  • The cake dish holder...i swear this has been used once and takes up so much space
  • Old prom dresses / bridesmaid dresses - they are in the dress up clothes bin, a large bin
  • A ton of John Grisham books that i've already read
  • Yearbooks - A TON ....even the college ones that I'm not even in
I won't even get started on what Brendan is saving.  :)  jk.  It's not THAT bad.  Mostly just baseball cards. 

3 comments:

  1. I go through all our stuff like twice a year and have a garage sale with my friends...I sold my cake plate for the same reason you mentioned. And I have needed one like ten times since then. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what storage units are for (and why we have two...)...the stuff we don't use but aren't ready to part with...and you just never know when you're going to have a cake plate emergency or want to play dress-up in your prom dresses, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out I have used the Cake plate once semi-recently, AND I put on an old prom dress for a photo shoot last month. Guess I'm keeping both of them.

      Delete