Monday, September 26, 2011

Ways Andy is like Our Kid

I am a blogging machine today.  It's because I'm sick.

I realize a dog is only a tiny bit like having a kid, and I've been told that I will forget about the dog when I have a kid (never!).   But it sure feels like Andy is our kid.  Here's why:
  • We hug him and tell him we love him multiple times per day
  • We pick him up when we get home and ask if he's missed us
  • We hold him like a baby on the couch with us (he's not allowed on the couch any other time)
  • He falls asleep in our arms
  • I wipe the goonk from his eyes every morning
  • I feed him and tell him he better finish his breakfast / dinner
  • He throws his food all over the floor and carries it to multiple rooms
  • If one of us is not home, the other will put Andy on the phone to talk
  • We make his bed for him each night (lay comforter on floor)
  • He takes out all his toys and throws them around, right after I've picked them all up
  • When he has an upset stomach, we make him special food, give him meds, and stay home from work to take care of him
  • When he comes in from outside and he's dirty, I make him sit down and give me each paw so I can wipe it off
  • We make sure he gets to play with his friends (dog park or daycare)
  • We kiss him on the nose to say goodnight and goodbye
  • We are very, very sad when we have to leave him
  • We give him baths, even though he hates them
  • We tell him he needs to be more careful and play nice, when he plays too rough
  • We say god bless you when he sneezes
  • When he's bad we yell "Andrew Healey!!!"
  • We photograph our family, including him
  • We sign our cards - Brendan, Sarah and Andy Healey
  • When he cries, we tell him it's ok
  • We call him puppy, honey, pup-dog, pup, bub...and Andy of course
  • We love to show him off to all of our friends, and get all excited when someone says he's cute (because it clearly runs in the family)
  • And most of all....we love him more than we ever thought we could love something



4 comments:

  1. I can completely relate...I feel the same way about my puppy, too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so cute! And one of my biggest pet peeves (hehe) is when people get rid of their pets or forget about them when they have kids. Our puppies are our fur-babies and they are family too!

    That bottom pic is pricelss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I just re-skimmed this list and thought I should comment that I do most of these things with my newborn child. Lucky dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are already great parents :-) And I love the pic.

    ReplyDelete